Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-21-2021, 04:22 PM   #1
john2054

United Kingdom
Talking BJJ car stickers

Today I found two car stickers, for a white and yellow rank, in Gracie Jiu-jitsu. I have legitimately earned my yellow belt twice in two local Aikido clubs. And I've watched some GJJ dvds from a combatives box set. You can't just buy these online right? They have to be earned? Plus I didn't even know they did yellow in GJJ/BJJ? I thought the first rank, after white, was blue? Maybe it's just for me?! Ps it says since 195 at the bottom!
Old 12-21-2021, 04:24 PM   #2
john2054

United Kingdom
Re: BJJ car stickers

https://community.giffgaff.com/d/334...tsu-since-1925

Last edited by john2054 : 12-21-2021 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Correcting image address
Old 12-24-2021, 08:02 AM   #3
IvLabush
Czech_Republic

Always wonder why people starts to discuss BJJ in Aikido community. Any ideas?
Old 12-24-2021, 03:08 PM   #4
shizentai
United_States

I'm not sure what the question is. Kids in BJJ can have yellow and green belts. I'm not aware of any BJJ instructors giving out car stickers. And no, Aikido ranks do not transfer to BJJ whatsoever.

Quote:
John Robinson wrote: View Post
Today I found two car stickers, for a white and yellow rank, in Gracie Jiu-jitsu. I have legitimately earned my yellow belt twice in two local Aikido clubs. And I've watched some GJJ dvds from a combatives box set. You can't just buy these online right? They have to be earned? Plus I didn't even know they did yellow in GJJ/BJJ? I thought the first rank, after white, was blue? Maybe it's just for me?! Ps it says since 195 at the bottom!
Old 01-20-2022, 09:40 AM   #5
budo-dude
Dojo: Aikido Seishinkan
Canada

Quote:
John Robinson wrote: View Post
For kids up to 16 the ranks are:
  • Gray
  • Yellow
  • Orange
  • Green

The GJJ garage program is not really thought of highly in BJJ circles. It's always better to learn in person. Learning in a silo will take longer and be less effective. A GJJ blue belt is in no way equivalent to a blue belt that has mat time of 3 years before. BJJ ranks are the hardest to achieve as there are not many of them. My path to black has spanned 13 years.

Aikido rank in no way transfers over to BJJ. If someone told you this or awarded you any rank as an Aikido instructor, you are at an McDojo. I would even question the legitimacy of your Aikido instructor. They could be one of those larping ponytail fraud type instructors. Do your research if you are just starting out.

I started my grappling journey in Aikido. As I started to see other arts and how effective they were in real situations, I was more and more drawn to them (JJJ, Judo and BJJ). Even with very minimal knowledge from self study I was submitting my Aikido classmates when we would goof around before or after class. This included students much higher ranked than me. Fast forward 14 or so years and I now teach at a BJJ academy.

I do believe that Aikido is martial arts at the highest level. Art is the key word here. It's an ideal, that in the perfect situation and execution, it can work in theory. It's not tested against any sort of real resistance and that will always limit it from being a combat art. I use some principles in my BJJ practice, but they have to be modified for the real world and all the variable that come in when someone is fully resisting.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:47 AM   #6
budo-dude
Dojo: Aikido Seishinkan
Canada

Quote:
Ivan Labushevskiy wrote: View Post
Always wonder why people starts to discuss BJJ in Aikido community. Any ideas?
I think it's natural. People see the effectiveness of BJJ in a forum like MMA where there are less "rules" to how your opponent or training partner reacts. Aikido is very controlled. Both the person executing the technique and your Uke move in a certain pattern and react the same way each time you train. This is not the case in the randori focused arts. Every martial artist will question their effectiveness in the real world. Aikidoka start to realize that what they have been putting time into is not fighting - though they may have thought that they were learning how to defend themselves. If they really want to know how to fight, they won't stay in it. If the culture, art and inner practice component is the goal, then Aikido is great.

It's great that there are arts for all people. They just really are not equal in terms of the goal.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:12 AM   #7
IvLabush
Czech_Republic

Still don't get why actually Aikido creates great interest from BJJ side. For example Karate don't have such numbers of pins or throws however I don't notice interest to Karate people from BJJ gyus.