View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #22
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Akuzawa Sensei Seminar in the DC Area/Aunkai

Dan Austin wrote:

Quote:
The question becomes whether you can take away enough kinesthetic sense of the foundational exercises that you can work them on your own, perhaps tweaking them with online discussion with people who have also had hands-on, and then how often would it be necessary to get together with someone significantly more skilled to keep you on the right track
Lots of good comments today, I concur with them.

The challenge of course is having access to some one to tweak you and adjust you. It is necessary.

However, my take on this is that it won't do you much good if you haven't put in the time and developed a martial body.

My own strategy will involve a fair amount of yoga this summer. I have access to some decent instruction in my area and I think that a good yoga instructor can help me with my conditioning and overall alignment, posture etc.

That said, I don't think doing yoga will help much with developing the transmission of skill, BUT at least the next time when I get with these guys I may not be so smoked in my quads or able to use my core better.

So, if I had access to nothing else, I'd download the youtube videos, begin to do some basic yoga, and start developing a "conditioned body".

Frankly if you don't have this, I don't see where the instruction is very helpful.

So...say you did the exercises and some yoga and showed up to the seminar in fairly good "yoga" shape....

I would say you'd had been much better prepared to recieve the training than if you hadn't down anything.

I think the worse thing is to not start training, throw your hands up and say I can't do it cause I don't have access to instruction!

Just do the best you can and go from there...it can't hurt.

Many worry about developing "bad habits". another topic of discussion, but I'd much rather do something and take the risk of developing some bad habits vice not doing anything. You will be further down the road with a few bad habits than without a conditioned body and no habits at all!

That is my opinion though!